Native American Group Seeks To Stop Downtown LA Project

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The state Native American Heritage Commission has asked coroner’s officials to order a halt to work on a Mexican-American cultural center in downtown Los Angeles over concerns that Indian remains are being disturbed.

Commission staffer Dave Singleton said in a letter Thursday to the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Department that the LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes project should be suspended until an investigation into the remains is completed.

Singleton said archeologists observing the project have reported that none of the remains belonged to Indians, but that Native Americans living in the area fear that may not be the case.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. George R. Wilkes says:

I prefer the term “Tribal Americans” to “Native Americans.” First of all, I am not a member of an Indian tribe — but I was born in America, making me a “native American” — just as, having been born in California, I am a “native Californian.” The term “Native American,” then, confuses the issue because it EXCLUDES every “native American” who is NOT of a tribe.

The term “Tribal American” is both accurate and respectful, and I suggest its greater use, instead of the misleading and wrongly excusionary term “Native American” when referring in general to a member of an American Indian tribe.

1. Tired of Lakers This... Lakers That... says:

Well stated. You’ve educated and provided me with a great way to differentiate between those terms. I’ll go with “Tribal American” from now on! Thank you.

2. George R. Wilkes says:

The term “Tribal American” is both accurate and respectful, and I suggest its greater use, instead of the misleading and wrongly exclusionary term “Native American,” when referring in general to a member of an American Indian tribe.

1. chief nana says:

No, saying you are native Californian
      is incorrect.Since the native American persons arrived @14000 years ago How many generations do your roots go back.

3. Ret. Lt. Gen. Col. Harry Wheel III, jr. says:

Do we have to protect everywhere that some savages took a dump?

1. Chris says:

That Sir is so typical of US Military disrespecting Culture! But thank you for showing the true glory of American Military…

4. D. Henderson says:

Oh how very nice that a member of our armed forces (thank goodness retired) has this opinion. I pray that the rest of the United States does not feel that way since most of them came after the Tribal Americans were slaughtered or forced to move form their original surroundings. Please enlighten us and let us know where your roots come from?

5. notlovinLA says:

Very well said, George R. Wilkes. I completely agree with you. From now on, I am referring to myself as a native American, because I am INDEED a native American. I hope the terms catch on. And, chief nana, it doesn’t matter how far back someone’s roots go. If you’re born in California, doesn’t that make you a native Californian? After all, isn’t that how the government labels those many, many children born to illegals? So, why wouldn’t that apply to me, someone actually born to legal parents in the state of California? P.S. I have no tribal blood running through my veins.

6. JE9 says:

Also, Dude, “tribes” is not the preferred nomenclature. “Nations,” please.

7. Brandon says:

He calls a ‘coroner’ to investigate the cause of death of 200+ year old remains, and the county ‘confirms’ it. Typical LA County morons.

1. Dutch says:

Good call, They needed a Forensic Anthropologist. In 1992 the Cops took over our land as a Homicide Scene because 2 teens found a dead Indian in a tree on our property…….We told them to call the local University……we ended up bring in a College professor who took 5 minutes to identify the remains as over 150 year old and probably a White Mountain Ute male……..
      Cops are so ignorant. A rep came from the White Mountain Reservation , Blessed the dead dude and we put him back in the tree…….oh yeah we had the teens cited for trespassing……..

8. Dutch says:

I am indeed a rare American. I have NO Indigenous peoples Blood running through my veins. When ever the Sinodonts followed the herds of mammals across the land bridge is not important. What is Important is HISTORY regardless of the social value assigned to WHO that History belongs to. I do find it strange that European Americans Historical Cultural sites are not awarded this level of concern. I agree that all Anthropological items must be removed from this site but there is also a modern value on the structure going in. The over compensating love affair with the Nobel Savage is also wrong. Providential manifestations dictate that the “Indian” was not going to survive first contact with Europeans. Adapt, get Over it or die out………….

1. Dukki Wisdom says:

Dutch
      You have your Neanderthals!
      Your Stone Henge

9. Ulan Baator says:

European were tribal, as well as Clans
    Huns, Saxons, Jutes, Vandals, Visigoths, Suevi, Langobards,
    originated in Central Asia and eastern Europe
    pushed westward by my Mongol ancestors

10. Does not Matter says:

These comments are why man will not survive man we are destined to destroy one another! Better get ready for to quote Jphnny Cash “the man comes around”

11. Karl says:

Why dont they built their mexican center in mexico? oh wait, this is mexico! lol

12. tim says:

Why are they (Gloria Molina) tearing down one culture to add another . Shouldn’t we honor the first people of the nation rather than throwing away their bones.
    Why is the contractor in charge of the site Gloria Molina’s brother-in-law?

13. roberta rodriguez says:

To whoever wants to read this I’m native american I’m very proud to be the savage everyone protrays us to be it was our land the white man stole it. Its the history of my people and the remains of my realatives that they want to just toss aside they may not be here to speak their mind but there are a lot of us who can. Proud to be native american Gabrielino/Tongva nation

1. Monique Martinez says:

Here is a link to my sister’s letter. For a “savage”, I would say she’s more educated and cultured than the Lieutenant above.

14. Julio says:

The term Tribal American sounds stupid ! I prefer Native American. Whites are not native to this land. Whites/Caucasians are the true illegal Aliiens ! Oh, and by the way, Mexicans have tons of Native American blood running through their body. Read your history ! Not just the one-sided Anglo version.