LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Los Angeles County shelters will offer pets at reduced fees starting Saturday, hoping to break last year’s record adoptions over the holidays.
“Happy Pawlidays” will be held from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 14 animal care centers throughout the greater Los Angeles area with reduced adoption fees through Christmas Eve. This is the second year that the county has partnered with the city’s Animal Services and the Southeast Area Animal Control Agency to host a holiday-themed event.
“Each year, the department takes in more than 90,000 animals,” said Michelle Roache, deputy director of outreach and special enforcement for the county’s Department of Animal Care and Control. “There are not enough homes for all of them. Supporting responsible adoption rather than irresponsible breeding is one way to significantly help reduce the pet over-population problem.”
Last year, 445 animals were adopted in time for the holidays, Roache said. County centers are located at:
– Downey Animal Shelter, 11258 S. Garfield Ave.;
– Carson Animal Shelter, 216 W. Victoria St., Gardena;
– Baldwin Park Animal Shelter, 4275 N. Elton St.;
– Lancaster Animal Shelter, 5210 W. Avenue I;
– Castaic Animal Shelter, 31044 N. Charlie Canyon Road;
– Agoura Animal Shelter, 29525 Agoura Road, Agoura Hills; and
– Antelope Valley Adoption Only Center, 42116 Fourth St. East, Lancaster.
More information is available by visiting the:
» LA County Department Of Animal Care & Control
(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)