Northern California Man Gets 6 Month Jail Sentence For 19th DUI

SANTA ROSA (AP) — A Northern California man with 19 drunken driving convictions has avoided a prison term, but will be spending some time in jail.

William Rylan Beall, who has a record of drunken driving convictions dating back 44 years, was sentenced to six months in jail Thursday for his latest offense.

The Press Democrat reports the 65-year-old Santa Rosa man was sentenced to jail even though prosecutors were seeking a prison term of two years.

The newspaper says a pre-sentencing report shows that Beall has a record of alcohol-related driving convictions dating back to 1966.

The report shows he was convicted of drunken driving seven times in the 1970s, five times in the 1980s, four times in the 1990s and in 2002.

In sentencing him to the shorter sentence, visiting Alameda County Judge Julie Conger noted that Beall had been sober for eight years until the most recent incident.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Skan says:

So if I shoot someone today, being that I havent shot anyone in years, can I get the same 6 months in jail? Say yes and I will make the news before sunrise.

2. Spin That Bottle, My Turn Again says:

Didn’t California changed it’s DUI law to 10 years? Even with 8 years being sober, he’s still 2 years short of his prior offenses.

Also, does DUI qualify as part of the 3 Strikes Law?

3. Chris says:

How sick the justice system is…..thats why I always hear of an innocent driver killed by a drunk driver…. he actually has to kill someone while drunk first before he gets at least a few weeks in jail….sheesh!.

4. alan hart says:

What are they waiting for? Does he have to wipe out a family before he gets prison? He needs to be off the street and have an ankle monitor that detects alcohol in his system. It worked for Lyndsey Lohan!

5. Mel Gibson says:

The DUI Law is much too harsh compared to the 60’s & 70’s. I had over 10 DUI’s from 1969 to 1980. I have had over 20 years Sobriety, but not in a row.
    I have had over 15 total DUI’s and the last Conviction was a Felony DUI in 2004.
    I am now 5 years Sober and I do think I can stay Sober forever. I almost ended up in prison from that felony DUI.
    I am not proud of my Ignorance, but hopefully others can learn from my selfishness

6. Mel Gibson says:

Also Judge said he had been Sober 8 years. that doesn’t mean it was 8 years from his last DUI. His last could have been 12

7. Astonished says:

So what’s it going to take to get this idiot off the road? Maybe after he “falls of the wagon” again and kills someone they’ll take his problem seriously. Personally, I think he should never be allowed to operate anything that possesses and engine and can move in any direction, at any speed.

8. Matt says:

More like report the judge. Here is how you do it.

I just filed mine. If you care about it file yours.

9. Ben Feige, Occidental, CA says:

That’s why we a need a national DUI/DWI databank so that when someone is conivted of an DU(W)I their name would be listed in the databank for all of us to see. Similar to the Sex Offendder registry.