Filed underSeen On TV
LOS ANGELES (CBS) — After a coyote attack in Northridge, animal safety officials want residents to remember a few guidelines to keep pets and children safe from coyotes.
- Do not approach or feed wild animals, including coyotes. It is unsafe and a violation of the law.
- Never leave small children and pets unattended outdoors, even if the yard is fenced.
- Remove pet food dishes and do not leave food outside. Pick ripe fruit and clean rotten produce off the ground.
- Walk your dog on a leash at all times and do not allow your dog to interact or “play” with a coyote.
- Put all trash bags inside trash cans and make sure all cans have secure lids. Ammonia or pepper sprinkled in the trash may also discourage a scavenging coyote.
- Keep your property well lit at night.
- Trim hedges from the bottom and keep brush cleared to limit hiding places for coyotes.
- Close off crawl spaces under porches, decks and sheds.
If you have coyotes near your home, call (888) 452-7381 for non-lethal assistance, or visit the Pet Medical Center Chatoak.