Time Warner Says Most Customers Are Back Online

LOS ANGELES (AP) —  Time Warner Cable says most of its customers are back online after an outage that affected Internet service in Southern California.

Company spokesman Darryl Ryan said in a statement Thursday that engineers were deployed to fix the problem and the “vast majority” of customers were able to access the Internet.

It’s still unclear when the problem started or how many customers were affected. The LA Times reported the outage affected Internet and phone customers from San Diego to Northern California.

The cause is under investigation. Time Warner Cable is the second-largest cable operator in the United States with more than 14 million subscribers who have one or more of its cable, Internet and voice services.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Linda gonse says:

Would be nice if status message was recorded for callers. I was told just to call back at a later time. Meanwhile, not sure if it is a problem with my modem.

1. Phillip Price says:

Me too. No way to get through to a human being to say what was going on. Perfect timing for an outage too since it just happened to be the day for class registration for next semester.

2. Shorty says:

Time Warner is working for the government. What just exploded in down town la? Sounds like it was a firework show or something.

3. Lee Christoffels says:

Again, Time Warner Cable has earned my worst provider award. Customer Service message was that they were aware of the problem so please hang up. There was no estimate of outage time, as I am sure there will be no reimbursement for lost service. I can’t wait until Verizon Fios is available in my area!

4. Janet says:

I looked over and over again to find out what was wrong with my connection. It would be nice if Time Warner could put a notice out on the “On Demand” channel telling us there is an outage so we know it’s not our computers. I ended up calling someone I know who also has Time Warner and he told me his computer was out also and he would quit trying to find out what was wrong also.

5. Jip says:

Time Warner just plain sucks

6. John says:

In Torrance both the internet and the Time Warner telephone service is out.
    The icing on the cake is the recorded message, “We can’t answer your call”

7. James says:

This happens with any other provider, Direct TV, Verizon & AT&T. People need to pay attention to when it is being installed in there homes. Loose connectors, bad splitters, staples in wiring. You would only know this if you ask questions befor it is installed. Just stop complaining about Time Warner Cable.

1. While I agree no one is free of problems TWC is the most arrogant, least customer service oriented and is just one big behemouth that could care less about it’s customers, just it’s bottom line. Let’s see if we get any rebate for our time lost online…. yeah, right. I have had Time Warner, Dish and Direct and by far the worst customer service is with Time Warner.

8. gman says:

I can’t think of many companies that are as universally loathed as Time Warner Cable. I wish some other company would buy them out and clean out the devil-may-care attitude of their employees and continued difficulty with service.

9. Don says:

Had time warner for 2 weeks in November and finally canceled. Too much pixelation and a 24 hr outage during the first 2 days. They need to upgrade the equipment or better train their techs in trouble shooting. What kind of freakin answer is “we don’t know what the problem is and we don’t know when service will be restored.” I have directv for 10 years and only experienced 2 outages. One due to an edison outage and seocond outage lasted for 30 min. I wouldn’t take time warner if you gave it to me free. Everytime, I called them I got the same scripted answers word for word.

10. cougo says:

Personally I’ve gotten nothing but good customer service from TW. This time though I really could have used a time estimate or a call when fixed or something. I guess that wasn’t possible.
    Realy,if you want terrible service try AT+T.

11. TW Customer says:

I experienced an outage September 8, October 5th, November 4th, and this latest one. It is starting to become a habit, a habit that is beginning to get very very annoying and inconvenient.

12. TW Sucks! says:

at least you guys got a recorded message, i only got a busy signal

13. prayer2009 says:

Oh well stuff happens , I still feel that Time Warner is the best internet provider out there .

14. Wes Kemp says:

I, too, wasted valuable time trying to identify MY problem last night. Icing on the cake? They called my cell phone (Verizon) today and interrupted an important meeting to sell me more services!!! Apparently it’s not enough that my mailboxes (snail & email) have mktg junk from them EVERY day!

15. Leon714 says:

Time warner should inform their customers of this ongoing issue by email, text alert, etc.. This had caused confusion to their customers wasting the time and finding ways to diagnose the connection problem on their own. It would be nice that way. Meabwhile we all all have to pay their bill on itme.