Toyota Announces Another Prius Recall

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Toyota has announced the worldwide recall of 650,000 Prius cars for a faulty coolant pump.

The models in question were made between 2004-07.

SLIDESHOW: Toyota Announces (Another) Prius Recall

Officials believe as many as 400,000 of these cars are being driven in America.

If the coolant pump overheats, the hybrid system shuts down.
Toyota stopped short of calling the recall a “repair” but said it was being done to increase “customer satisfaction.”

Toyota previously announced a recall of the 2010 Prius, about 440,000 worldwide, to fix a brake problem.

That recall started in February 2010.

Comments

1. Jackie Winters says:

Thank goodness for the lemon law that applies to these vehicle.

2. z. z. zzyzx says:

Our Prius has been one of the most reliable cars we’ve ever owned. I’d buy another in a heartbeat.

1. Mike says:

I used to say that as well. Then I got burned by GM.

Buy whatever is reliable.

3. Parris Boyd says:

Toyota makes a great acronym for The One You Ought To Avoid. I found out about their lousy products, attitude, and service after the engine disintegrated in my MR2 Spyder, and I’ve been bloggin’ ’bout Toyota for quite some time at http://www.uc2.blogspot.com Now the Recall King is tryin’ to tell us a recall isn’t a recall.

4. Barb says:

I love my Prius which, by the way, will soon be manufatured in Tupelo. Coming from a long line of family members who have worked for GM, Chrysler and especially Ford, I was teased quite a bit…at first. I have 100,000 trouble free miles on my 2004, none of my family members could say that about THEIR cars and trucks. Nor could they say they average over 55 mpg, saving lthousands of dollars in gas money. I am looking forward to buying a new american made Prius in about another…who knows how many years, LOL.

5. Jinx says:

i love love love my 2010 Prius….I would definately recommend it – who doesn’t like to save the money otherwise used for gas? I used to spend at least $250 monthly, but now it’s more like $60 a month. It’s a reliable car, really cute and spacious inside. As long as Toyota continues to catch and fix the problems, it’s all good!

6. David says:

I was burned by GM a while ago and vowed to never buy another one. I bought my Prius in 2005 because no American manufactured a hybrid to address my environmental concerns.

7. Carole says:

When I had a problem in the mid 80s with a GM vehicle the company told me to work out my problems with my dealer. I vowed never to purchase another GM and am holding to that. I absolutely love my Prius.

8. Charlene Blake says:

Parris, your acronym is PERFECT particularly for those who might consider the purchase of a CERTIFIED USED Toyota. Imagine how many Toyota SLUDGEMOBILES are out there waiting for unsuspecting buyers! After all, Toyota’s Mike Michel’s said there “hasn’t been a single case of engine oil sludge in a properly-maintained Toyota.” Tell that to the over 3200 petition signatories at http://www.petitiononline.com/TMC2003/petition.html! Apparently, Toyota doesn’t speak the TRUTH that they know during their Toyota ownership! Ahhh, but a recall isn’t a recall at Toyota, and the owners are always to blame! At least the public knows better now!

9. Charlene Blake says:

That link above should be http://www.petitiononline.com/TMC2003/petition.html

Toyota owners who have experienced engine oil sludge have been to this site to find out more http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs7WI2s-CVw

The Toyota owners’ truth is quite different from Toyota’s. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_pFcpGHZ4o to find what the owners have learned.