Human Remains Found On Angeles National Forest Trail

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Hikers have found human remains on a forest trail in the San Gabriel Mountains near Los Angeles, but authorities say no evidence of foul play was detected.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department says the remains were found Sunday on the Mount Lowe Railway Trail in Angeles National Forest.

Deputy Lillian Peck says they’re believed to be the skeletal remains of one person but it’s unclear whether they belong to a man or a woman.

Investigators also could not say how long the remains had been there.

The cause of death will require further examination.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

1. citizenQ says:

well, by the looks of it at least a week or so.

2. Dustin says:

I wonder how foul play wouldn’t play into it…. mmmm

3. Joe Copper says:

Man, they always seem to find bodies around that area. Creepy

4. RM says:

dustin easy someone goes on a hike or is campin out
    gets ill and dies and is never found

5. Greg says:

Wow. I’ve been going there recently. It’s a hell of a hike. I’d never go there alone.

6. Forest Hiker says:

It’s not like this body was found in some remote part of the mountains, it’s on one of the most popular trailheads in the area. Even though it’s a busy area, the geography is such that most people never wander more than 100 feet from the trail so things can stay hidden for a long time. Most likely a body dump, I’d bet foul play involved.

I used to do a lot of solo hiking a lot in the Angeles, but over the last decade I wouldn’t feel safe anywhere in that area that’s less than a day’s hike from the road. Nowadays, it’s almost a necessity to carry protection on many of those trails.

Outside had a very good article on it about a decade ago. It’s only gotten worse from what I’ve seen

7. Gena says:

It was probably at the hands of a chupacabra.

8. Hiking lover says:

Thanks for the link, Forest Hiker. I only wish I could have seen what the Angeles National Forest was like before the throngs of idiots and gang members descended upon the forest.