OC Parents Warned Sex Offender’s Release Imminent
SANTA ANA (AP) — The Orange County district attorney is warning parents about a sex offender who will be released from prison this week after serving 25 years of a 49-year sentence.
District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said Tuesday that 52-year-old Lawrence Joseph Brown will be released on parole Wednesday from Chino State Prison.
KNX 1070’s Chris Sedens Reports
Rackauckas says Brown abducted and molested an 8-year-old girl and a 7-year-old girl in two separate incidents in Santa Ana in 1983.
Rackauckas says the state determined that Brown does not meet the criteria for a sexually violent predator so there’s nothing he can do to prevent Brown’s release.
He says if Brown had been convicted of the same crimes today, he would have faced 300 years to life in prison.
Brown has repeatedly said he is innocent.
(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)