Deputy Shoots, Kills Armed Man During Chase

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy has shot and killed a man authorities say pointed a gun at him during a chase in the unincorporated Willowbrook area south of Los Angeles.

No deputies were hurt.

Deputy Benjamin Grubb says deputies on patrol at about 10:17 p.m. Monday encountered a group and attempted to question a man, who ran away.

Grubb says deputies chased the man, who suddenly turned and pointed a handgun. A deputy shot him.

Twenty-one-year old Robert Lewis Thomas was pronounced dead at a hospital. Grubb says a handgun was recovered.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Rosie says:

Thank God the bad guy lost this time…now if the suspect in the murder of the Riverside police officer was found, that would be icing on the cake

1. Roxie says:

The bad guy you are speaking on is my cousin. If people stop reading a book by its cover alot of the news will be accurate. Everything you hear in the news is not true

2. debra says:

get the facts before you call this young black man bad rosie look out pray it don’t happen to your family. Then you will see.

1. bob-0 says:

got the facts..dude had a gun an brought it out. what do u expect.

2. rosie says:

My family doesn’t CARRY GUNS around or RUN FROM THE POLICE…so no, it won’t happen to us!

3. rosie says:

3. Ebony says:

how about u shut up and know the truth to the story..the police was the crooks and took an innocent life..We miss u Robert soo much

1. EBONY says:

WHO EVER IS ON THE POLICE SIDE OF THIS STORY CAN GO TO HELL..ROBERT WAS A DEAR FRIEND AND WOULD NEVER IN HIS RIGHT MIND DO SUCH A STUPID THING LIKE THAT..ITS NOT IN HIS CHARACTER..HE WAS A VERY SWEET AND KIND PERSON AND IM POSITIVE HE DIDNT PULL OUT ANY GUN ON POLICE..BUT IF IT WAS TO BE IN HIS POCKET IT WAS ONLY FOR PROTECTION BECAUSE THE SOCIETY SOME OF US LIVE IN IS FILLED WITH IGNORANT PEOPLE WHO IS QUICK TO KILL WHOMEVER THEY FEEL LIKE KILLING AND AGE IS OFF LIMITS..THE POLICE WERE THE BAD GUYS IN THIS. THEY SHOT MY ROBERT 12 DAMN TIMES AND FOR WHAT? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL..I SAY TO HELL WITH THE POLICE ITS BETTER TO PROTECT OURSELFS..SO IF U DONT KNOW ROBERT AND KNOW THE “TRUTH” THEN U NEED NOT TO COMMENT ON THIS STORY.

2. G. man says:

These people who choose to carry their guns with them better be careful!Officers are very timid right now. As for the guy in Riverside. He should turn himself in. Round 2 he may not be so lucky!!

1. Deborah Davis White says:

Yes he need to turn his self in so they want keep taking it out on other people. This guy is a crimminal. God bless that sheriff’s family. Hope they get him off the street soon.

3. G. man says:

These people who choose to carry their guns with them better be careful! Officers are very timid right now. As for the guy in Riverside. He should turn himself in. Round 2 he may not be so lucky!!

4. Bob says:

Pull a gun on any peaceofficer and justice will be swift and sure.

5. cindy says:

You speak from ignorance. I live in Watts and its a fact to all our residents that the Sherrifs, LAPD and Highway patrol that mob down ourr streets are no better then any of the gun totting gang bangers . They abuse their badges and our rights systematically. My nephew a football player at santa monica college recently came to visit me and got pulled over taken out of his care, searched and made fun of by the cops when he protested. they said er do you think you are beverly Hills? Oddly enuf I laughed and said Damn I coulda told you that. If we try to complain to the officers we just might end up being an LAPD murder victim.

6. Kacey says:

Its never seems to amaze me, when people post comments they know nothing about. The media, only states what the police tells them(which is truly sad). What the police did not state to the media is “The young man in question, was shot in the back” so, tell me how was he pointing a gun? The gun was not recovered until police turned him over and the gun was located in his pants!!!!!!!! So, before you make judgments about other people lives, think about!!!!!! The media, also did not disclose; that this police department underwent several investigations; for un-just killings of civilians. But, hey; who am I to do my homework!!!!!!!

1. rosie says:

Oh my God! You mean the cop never gave him a chance to get his gun out of his pants?! What a jerk! He should’ve at least let him fire a shot or two at the officer right?! YOU’RE A JOKE!! Look at what you’re writing, you’ve shown people that this “victim” was not innocent at all!!

1. Deborah Davis White says:

One day you want be so blind to what is happening. Like you care. I’m from a family of cops i know what happens. I guest your family is beyound doing crime. So perfect. I guest that young black women found in the desert last week just walked there. You have the right to believe what you want. You have already convicted this young man without the true story. Also your’e saying that all those witness are lying.

2. Stephanie Ealey says:

ITS LIKE WE ARE IN 1980’S ALL OVER AGAIN..ITS CRAZY IN COMPTON/WATTS WITH THE POLICE…I WISH THESE OUTSIDERS HAD A CLUE

3. shara says:

@Rosie you need to watch what you say speaking on something and someone you dont know because u weren’t there to know the facts and you don’t know what ur family would carry if their life was in jeporady! You don’t no what your family does when your not around. I don’t care if you are black, white, or what ever you are. He was still a human being he didn’t deserve to be murder in front of his family and friends. You wouldn’t have the same response if the tables were turned,that’s a guarteed fact. Theres only three sides to the story his side, the police side, and the truth,and he’s not here to speak up on his side,so what gives you the right to. I believe his side which is the truth.He didn’t bless you wit his presences so u wouldn’t no what kind of man he is/was!!!!! He always use to say “GOD 1st and everything after”#

7. Linnelle says:

This young man was my next door neighbor. He was not a bad guy. He will truely be missed by us all who knew him! And as for the police alleging he pulled a gun,i believe that is not true because like the one girl said how could he pull a gun if he got shot in the back!? R.I.P. Robert…

8. Mandy Hall says:

I am British Police Officer, l patrol without a gun and have been hurt before. I have never had a gun pulled on me, Knives are the problem here and we have lost police officers here too. I do love my job but my family really worry about me and the day they get the police car outside the front of the house. It’s a really difficult job, perhapes you should go out on patrol with them to see what they really do?

9. rosie says:

I’m so tired of the race card always getting pulled out in situations like these! It’s always the corrupt cops fault right?! I’m a minority, grew up in the projects with a single mother and five siblings. We had numerous rival gangs and none of us led that path. Half my sibling are home owners including myself with little or no college degree. Hard work pays off and if you choose to steer your life on the right path, situations like these will be non-existent!!

1. Deborah Davis White says:

Your not the only person who has made it out of the projects. Where you been if you notice who is left in the projects. Many had not gone down that path. To guide you life you need Jesus. Do you have that if not I am willing to talk to you about him. He will help glide you and open up your mind so you can pray for your old hood and not talk about them so bad.

2. Stephanie Ealey says:

and if you think that racism is not well and thriving right now…well then the Joke is on you…its crazy that you are someone’s mother..whose going to teach their child your same beliefs..IF the parents of today think like you..we have no hope for our future….WAKE UP…everyone does not get to choose which path they follow..hats goes off to the way your life turned out to be…but you just keep on living

10. T.F says:

AND YEA THAT BAD GUY YOU TALKING BOUT IS MY CHILD HOOD FRIEND AND JUST CAUSE THEY SAY THEY FOUND A GUN DNT MEAN THEY DIDN’T PUT IT THERE…BUT U WOULDN’T NO ANYTHING ABOUT THAT SMH AT U JUDGMENTAL PPL

1. stephanie says:

THATS REAL….I WAS THERE TOO! WHEN IT HAPPEN…THE POLICE ARE FULL OF IT…ALL THAT DIDNT HAVE TO GO ON LAST NIGHT BUT THE POLICE WANTED TO COME AND CRASH THE PARTY AND THE REST IS DOWNHILL

11. Quesh says:

@ Rosie,How dare you try and pass judgement on a individual you didn’t know personally! All you know is the lies that has been told… That young man was my cousin & he was indeed a Victim! @ Rosie, you are ignorant & I will not stoop to your level but, I will say this, be careful what you say because you know where you are but don’t know where your headed & I Pray that no one else will lose a loved one they way I lost mine on the night of Nov.8th not even you Rosie but, God Bless You!!!
    & to set the record straight my cousin was not apart of any Gang.

1. bossms says:

but he was affiliated in every way dont get it twisted

12. Thevoiceofreason says:

A citizen gets shot and people riot/protest…. An officer gets shot no riots, no protest. For every one bad cop there are one thousand gang members. If this guy was “such a good kid” then why the hell didn’t he stop the deputies told him to? Oh and since when do law abiding citizens carry a loaded gun????

1. Stephanie Ealey says:

@ the voice of reason….YOU OBVIOUSLY don’ LIVE where WE LIVE…he ran because as soon as the police pulled up they tried to physically attack him and others there…NOT JUST Question anyone….I WAS THERE!!!!…SO BE A VOICE OF REASON WITH SOME CORRECT INFO..OTHERWISE YOUR JUST TALKING OUT THE SIDE OF YOUR MOUTH..THAT GOES FOR ANYONE WITH ANYTHING NEGATIVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS YOUNG MAN WHOSE LIFE WAS CUT TOO SHORT

1. Thevoiceofreason says:

Correction I do live there….get your facts right first…second you’re being racist towards cops..WHY??? Because you make THE mistake of STEREOTYPERING cops …you probably dont like cops because THE COLOR of their uniforms….

13. cindy alvarez says:

It is so scary to get pulled over by the police n Watts, you aren’t sure what they are gonna do to you. I am afraid of the police and the sherrifs here. I fear for my boyfriends life everytime he leaves the house and its usually not because of the gangs here. You all speak from neighborhoods that are treated differently. If you lived in Watts you would know we are treated like animals regardl;ess of our social status here the fact that our demographic location is Watts makes us a police target. We can not hang put in front of our own homes without the police harrassing us and accusing us. I speak as a resident of this neighborhood and i am not gang affiliated or crime affiliated. I am a 34 year old woman with a college degree and a professional job yet I get harrassed. since you are so quick to excuse there actions can you also explain it because to us that belive it we dont see any excuse!

14. bossms says:

well its sad but i know his mother what goes around comes around and she is good for pulling guns on people, sorry it had to be her only son

15. Stephanie Ealey says:

@ the voice of reason…yeah u might live there….and so do I..but i WAS there when it happened!!so we can go back and forth all day long about what you think happened..but I know the REAL…and my dad is a cop…(THANK YOU VERY MUCH)!!! AND HE Knows as well as I do that every cop is not a good cop..he works with them everyday and you would not believe some of the things my father has encountered in his line of work with dealing with DIRTY COPS. Its one thing for a cop to try and make a difference and another for harrassment

16. Leslie says:

I am a psychiatric nurse and have worked with potentially violent individuals for over 2 decades. The methods used by some police officers to “fight crime” is criminal. Robert Thomas Jr was ambitious, attractive, a high school graduate, employed, with no criminal record and a promising future. This incident was senseless and tragic, and I haven’t been able to get it out of my mind since I learned of it. It seems like every week I hear about something like this regarding the LAPD or Sheriff. Whatever Robert was doing to “act suspicious”, whatever that means, he did not deserve to be shot in the back 12 times. If he pulled a gun on the cop, why was he shot in the back?. If he pulled a gun, he would have been shot in the front. Anyone who does not see this as a case of murder, is ignorant.

17. TRUTH says:

He had a gun because he was an ARMED security officer!!!!! He was shot because even though actual gang members make up a small percentage of people in the inner city! EVERYONE is guilty with some of these cops.. God bless this man and his family!!! He ran because they would have shot him if they saw the gun!!!Conservatives can take guns when the Prez does open speeches but this mans death was warranted because he had a gun??? NOO.. HE WAS SHOT 12 TIMES IN THE BACK LIKE AN ANIMAL.. THE BACK, THE BACK THE BACK!!!!

18. teeee says:

smh @ ppl making assumptions about things or ppl they don’t know . june was a great guy and did NOTHING wrong . his only crime was being a YOUNG BLACK MALE which isn’t a crime at all . i knew june personally and know what they’re saying isn’t correct at all . that officer took away a WONDERFUL person but at the same time he free’d June ov the troubles and hurting we endure everyday down here . 11.8.2010 an angel got his wings . iLY JUNE BUG ! always & forever .

& @ bossum what you said was very ignorant ! and since you said what goes around comes around i hope something comes around & bites a chunk outta your ass !

19. EBONY says:

TEE COULDN’T OF SAID IT ANY BETTER. I MISS U SOO MUCH ROBERT. U WILL ALWAYS BE LOVED AND MISSED EVERYDAY.