10 Students Hurt In High School Cooking Blast

TORRANCE (AP) — Officials say 10 students have been injured when portable cooking equipment being used for a children’s charity fundraiser exploded.

Torrance school district spokeswoman Tammy Khan says four students suffered second-degree burns on their hands, faces and necks in the blast at North High School.

KNX 1070’s Jon Baird Reports

Torrance fire Capt. Steve Duel says the explosion appeared to have been caused by a failed gas canister.

He says it was an instantaneous, “flash-type of explosion.”

No part of the building burned and the school remained open after the explosion.

Students were holding a fundraiser for UNICEF.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

1. billy says:

I was there when it happen

1. No one says:

“when it happen”? And I suppose you’ll graduate from high school with flying colors.

1. Cypress says:

You people are ridiculous. The next time you decide to insult someone’s grammar, try not starting a sentence with a conjunction. The faculty and students at NHS are top notch. I hope everyone is okay.

2. FFL says:

And the sad part is that they will breed and most likely vote liberal democrat! Perpetuating the crime-

3. Danny says:

I GO THERE!!!!!!

4. John Smith says:

WEST HIGH! and I’ll keep you in my prayers. but in the meantime WEST HIGH!

5. Pumudu says:

I go there too

6. sandman says:

Sure it wasn’t a radical Islamic incident??

7. Sean Tamura says:

Thank god it wasn’t some kind of water boiler explosion or w/e. But still, that had to suck, i’m an alumni there too

8. Skippy says:

I( got there!!!!

9. Sharon says:

How about giving credited to 79 kids and 2 teachers that are trying to make a difference in this world. I do not see this kind of reaction when someone is shot, drugs are sold and all the other horrible things that go on around us. It is sad day when anyone would accuse a teacher of allowing a meth lab to be conducted. We should be praying for the injured and kids in shock

10. Lindsey says:

My brother goes there and I am an alumni from class of 08. I will keep all the saxons in my prayers. By the way, what kind of person comments on this sad story just to insult a student or the school, you are the ones who need to grow up.

1. No one says:

Well Lindsey, I’m the type of person who cares about the literacy and collective intelligence of the citizens of this country. I’m the type of person who is concerned about the many ways in which incompetence and illiteracy is dragging this country down economically and technologically. You question me as a person because you know my comment is accurate and something we should care about and work on locally and across the country. What type of person are you? Are you the type of person who would coddle illiteracy and incompetence for the sake of being nice or kind? You know as well as I do that this country’s prosperity will not rise or fall through protecting others’ feelings. Rather, this country’s prosperity will rise or fall directly on our competence and literacy.

11. Michelle says:

I have two younger sisters that attend NHS, another one at Lincoln Elementary and I graduated class of ’09 at NHS. North Torrance is a great city with a wonderful hard working school district. It’s a shame to see such immaturity and callousness. These are somebodies children, sisters, brothers, grandchildren, friends and surely you can relate in one way or another to this type of accident. It is a sad moment and Saxons should come together for them. My prayers go out to the individuals hurt, their friends, family and the staff. Hang in there Saxons.