29_35x90 knx_35x90

Local

3 Kids Sickened By Cookies Tainted With Marijuana

View Comments
File photo

File photo

HUNTINGTON BEACH (CBS)  — Officials in Huntington Beach said three children had to be taken to a hospital Wednesday when they mistakenly ate marijuana-laced cookies.

Police were called about 6:30 p.m. to Huntington Beach Hospital after an 11-year-old boy was brought in by his parents to be treated for vomiting and headaches, Lt. Russell Reinhart said.

Two of the child’s friends were also brought to the hospital a short time later, the lieutenant added.

According to police, one parent accepted the marijuana-laced cookies as a gift from a neighbor.

Police later identified the neighbor as Jason Davis, 30.

A parent, who was unaware the cookies contained pot, set the snacks aside.

Later in the afternoon when the parent’s son and his two friends got home they ate the cookies, Reinhart said.

The children then went to a nearby park, but returned to their homes shortly after vomiting and complaining of headaches, dizziness and
lethargy, Reinhart said.

Davis, who knew the cookies had marijuana in them, does not have a medical marijuana card, but has not been arrested, Reinhart said.

Police are continuing to investigate the incident.

(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus