Fire Engulfs Vacant Bowling Alley

BELLFLOWER (CBS) — A massive fire was sending plumes of smoke from a vacant bowling alley in Bellflower as firefighters worked to keep the flames from spreading to nearby structures.

The blaze was reported at Clark Avenue and Alondra  Boulevard at approximately 12:30 p.m., an L.A. County Fire dispatcher said.

KNX 1070’s Jon Baird Reports

About 50 firefighters were seen pouring water onto the flames, which burned through the roof of the single-story building that had housed the Clark Center bowling alley, county Fire Inspector Don Kunitomi said.

(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. chris says:

Hi i remember many memmories bowling here at clark center b4 it was bought out & turned into a night club called *club alondra* that in turn closed in less then 2yrs
    it had a for sale sign for awhile then a coming soom sign with a pic of a corner stripmall.
    I’m sad to see the building go up in flames.
    but i have my memmories and championship trophy’s and shirt and name tag from my enployment of clark center back in the day!

1. Joe says:

Yeah! We went bowling there when i was a kid. 3 free games came with breakfast in the coffee shop!

1. JOSH says:

HEY JOE THAT WAS ALONG TIME AGO 3 GAMES AND FREE BOWLING, REMEMBER BLUE CHIP BOWLING

2. josh says:

hey chris this is josh i was working there for ten yers when did ui work there

2. JC Agajanian says:

Only old people bowl

3. downtown vibe says:

Insurance

4. JOSH says:

MY FAMILY WORKED THE RE I WORKED THERE GREW UP THERE MET A LOT OF GREAT PEOPLE THERE, HENRY UI RUINED THE BOWLING ALLEY CLOSING IT DOWN LIKED THAT IT WAS GOOD TIMES MISS EVERONE HOPE SOMEONE SEE S THIS AND REPLYS. IT DIDNT HAVE TO END THIS WAY

5. FFL says:

Insurance scam -arson most likely

6. Jeremy Jones says:

Josh,

I bowled there for many years. My father used to bowl Blue Chip on Saturday nights, and when I hit the age to bowl with him, I was with him almost every week. I can still see the inside of the bowling alley and remember the good times I had there. I was sad to see Clark Center close, and remember most of the people that worked there (Jim and Melody are the two I liked the most.) I remember being on lanes 13-14 and cracking my ball in half picking up a tenpin. I will miss that bowling alley, and I will miss the many memories I had there.

7. DTurnip says: