CHP Cracks Down On Distracted Drivers

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — California Highway Patrol officers and other law enforcement agencies will be out in full force Tuesday and Wednesday to make sure drivers aren’t texting or using their cell phones without wireless headsets.

Los Angeles County authorities are hoping a two-day campaign designed to reinforce existing state laws will remind the public that distracted driving can be dangerous, and even deadly.

CHP To Ticket Distracted Drivers, KNX 1070’s Pete Demetriou reports.

CHP Officer Blaize Austin Talks With KNX 1070’s Dick Helton, Jack Popejoy, and Vicky Moore About Crackdown

In 2008, more than 30,000 Californians were involved in traffic collisions that were caused by distracted driving.

(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Comments

1. PeteM says:

Good! Nail their butts!

2. Dave says:

It’s all about collecting revenue for our governments out of control spending!

3. Mike says:

i guess alot of cops will be given a ticket for this matter also right?

4. Edward says:

I don’t see a difference between using a cell phone’s speakerphone or headset versus holding it to your ear.

Texting, on the other hand, is obviously inherently dangerous.

1. Mark says:

uh, you serious? ever hear of two hands on the wheel?

5. Micha says:

No more distractions? Ok, then no more dogs on laps while driving, no more radio or ipods in the car (that music is a distraction) and girls, no more make-up application while driving 75 because you are late to work! Forget that cup of java, and remove all cup holders. As a matter of fact I have seen people distracted due to conversations in the car… NO MORE PASSENGERS!!! They are just a distraction! Why not just penalize those people who cause accident because of irresponsible behavior instead of taking away the rights of responsible drivers? That is a thought!

1. Marcus says:

If you’d put your own phone down for a minute, you would realize that all those other potential distractions you list are insignificant compared to the idiots who are trying to drive while using their phones. As far as punishing those who cause accidents, that doesn’t do a lot of good for the victim of the accident, and it also doesn’t address all those idiots who cause multiple near misses or drive off after they caused an accident but didn’t get hit.

6. jip says:

CHP are the worst offenders

7. vudu says:

There is no difference between talking on the phone with it to your ear, and using a bluetooth. That whole idea is just stupid, and the point is moot because nobody drives with both hands on the wheel anyway. Its not the holding of the phone thats distracting, its the conversation. Texting is a whole other deal though, because now your mind and hands are both busy with something other than operating the speeding 2 ton vehicle you are sitting in. Its the same thing with applying make up, it ends up taking your eyes off the road AND keeps at least one hand busy. Some people can drive and talk on the phone at the same time, some can’t. What needs to happen is rather than issuing fines for simply using it, issue more severe fine and/or punishment for those that are found using it but only if it is affecting their driving at the time the cop sees them….. If they are’nt swerving all over and are’nt going 50 in the fast lane…… leave them alone.

8. Chris says:

Ok, so lets tell everyone that today and the next day we will be watching you! Next time just do it and explain afterwards, so you only catch the people that don’t watch the news or listen to the radio, Oh yea that’s really smart. Do your job!!!

9. leroybrown says:

The dude in the picture sure is ugly. Give him the bus.

10. juli says:

I’ve seen a lot of driver on the freeway talking on the phone.

11. ginny25 says:

It’s sad that people today have become so stupid that we have to have individual laws to try and prevent people from doing distracting things while driving. The purpose of driving it just that, drive and do it safely. No phones, testing, makeup, eating, etc. Why does it have to be spelled out. Just use common sense. Open door, sit in drivers seat, buckle up, put key in, start engine, place handson 10 & 2 position, release parking brake, put care into gear and just drive following the rules of the road. Now, how hard is that to do?

12. Douglas says:

It is about time….I drive 100 miles round trip home to work and back, and it is incredible the number of near misses i encounter daily due to distracted drivers. CHP go gett them.

13. Art says:

What I like about my IPhone is I can talk, text, t surf The internet and talk at the same time. It saves a lot of time and so far I have not got into an accident. I have come pretty close but that’s about it

14. Art says:

I did quit drinking Coffee at the same time so that helps. Actually I’m trying to quit altogether

15. Art says:

What I like about my IPhone is I can talk, text, surf The internet and drive at the same time. It saves a lot of time and so far I have not got into an accident. I have come pretty close but that’s about it
    Sorry about the errors, but I am driving right now. I’m trying to be careful

16. Art says:

Sorry about the errors, but I am driving right now. I’m trying to be careful
    My eyesight is not that good so I can make a few mistakes when i’m texting

17. chris says:

what a freakin idiot. Must be an illegal!

18. P Dockus says:

Part of the information on the report was inaccurate. The vehicle code states you cannot have both ears while driving. The reporter was giving out wrong information that could result in a ticket for some unsuspecting driver.

19. A Pendejo says:

$20-$100 fines aren’t enough
    Make these people ride public transit for a month

20. Steve S says:

The news report gave bad information. She was using a hands free device, but had the ear buds in both ears. You’re not allowed to have the ear buds in both ears, for obvious reasons. Don’t do what she did – you can get a ticket for that too!

21. ES says:

I agree with JIP that the CHP is the worst offender! I can only hope that they read these blogs.

22. God says:

Women putting on make-up are the worst!!!

Stop it ,you ugly skanks!!

23. Krystal Kid says:

80% percent of all rear end collisions (the most frequent vehicle accident) are caused by driver inattention. I doubt if we’ll ever stop the madness so I got one of these from sparebumper.com – to reduce whiplash and protect my family.

24. Belit says:

The cause of most accidents is this:

1) DRIVING WAY TOO FAST,
    2) NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO THE ROAD IN FRONT OF YOU and most importantly
    3) NOT LEAVING A SAFE DISTANCE BETWEEN YOUR CAR AND CAR IN FRONT!!

DON’T TAILGATE PEOPLE, KEEP DISTANCE!! NOT KEEPING DISTANCE IS THE NO. 1 CAUSE OF ALL REAR-ENDERS!!

25. doug says:

I see more cops on the phone or on their computer than i see regular drivers Get your camera ready send it in maybe the news will do an undercover or r the cops above the law?

26. Art says:

if you can’t drive and talk or text on the phone you have to a spastic

27. Buck says:

Put it all down and drive

28. Jim says:

It all boils down to people being selfish. We can`t fathom the idea of giving up one of our conveniences, for even a little while, even if it means someone get`s killed for it.

29. steve says:

during the ride along interview with the chp officer, he said they can pull you over and issue a ticket for any reason you don’t have both hands on the wheel. this is about money. I’m so tired of this “police state”… the state needs to layoff some help instead of stealing more money from the taxpayer..

30. steve says:

and what about the cop who was texting his girlfriend when he caused the wreck that killed 2 little girls… he is now drawing disability for the injuries he caused while breaking the law.. the family of the girls should be getting his money and he should be in jail… you and I would be…

31. Dave A. says:

LAPD,L.A. County Sheriff and the CHP all use their cell phones while they driving. I drive a truck for a living and I see it everyday. I guess the cops are above the law. You won’t see any reports on the news about this! CBS needs to look into this.

32. lemonella says:

Oh just get off the phone and drive. Buy a speaker phone, attach to visor, push button when call comes in and talk. This will help keep you from either running over someone or prevent someone from running over you.