Study: Fewer Immigrants Coming To LA, More Settled

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A new study shows fewer immigrants are arriving in Los Angeles and but more of their compatriots are long-settled in the country’s second-largest city.

The study by University of Southern California researchers shows foreign-born residents made up 39.4 percent of the city’s population in 2008, down from 40.9 percent in 2000.

But immigrants who have lived in the United States more than two decades made up 42.3 percent of Los Angeles’ foreign-born population in 2008, nearly triple their share in 1990.

USC Professor Dowell Myers says the shift should make it easier for new immigrants to adjust to life in this country.

The study commissioned by the Pat Brown Institute of Public Affairs at California State University, Los Angeles, will be presented Tuesday.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Jose Platano says:

It is hard to pull a weed
    with long roots

1. rjsmitty says:

but not impossable

2. rjjrdq says:

they don’t come because we’re number 2.

3. Gerri says:

Are there any left to immigrate?

4. notlovinLA says:

I hardly think going from 40.9 percent to 39.4 percent is worth celebrating. Show me larger numbers in favor of us AMERICANS and then I’ll do a cartwheel. Or when I can drive down the street and see all the billboard signs in ENGLISH, then I will join in the parade. Or how about when I’m standing in line at the grocery store and I can actually understand the language being spoken by the people behind me and in front of me. Whoop-dee-doo. A whopping 1.5 percent.

5. C Chan says:

I’ve noticed the largest increase in the Asian community

6. Leroybrown says:

Either way they smell up the place.

7. ginny25 says:

Funny how we don’t see a differentiation between ILLEGAL and LEGAL immigrantion anymore. Do the liberals think we are going to forget that there is a difference? Not likely. So what do these numbers really mean? how many of them are legal versus illegal since illegals were encouraged to complete the census forms this past year///////

8. AmericanMike says:

All of them need to be removed.