Lawyer Says Whitman’s Husband Saw Ex-Maid’s Letter

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Republican gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman held a press conference Thursday reiterating that she never saw a 2003 letter from the government suggesting her housekeeper was an illegal immigrant — and said the maid was responsible for alerting her to letters in the mail.

KNX Exclusive: Meg Whitman Responds To Gloria Allred’s Thursday Press Conference

KNX Exclusive: Gloria Allred Responds To KNX About Meg Whitman’s Interview With Charles Feldman

Whitman communications manager Tucker Bounds told The Associated Press that the housekeeper was in charge of going through the mail coming to the home and that she never passed along any letter to the former eBay CEO.

Meanwhile, attorney Gloria Allred held another press conference Thursday regarding Whitman’s former housekeeper.

Allred presented a 2003 letter to Whitman from the Social Security Administration office. The letter reportedly advised the former eBay chief that Nicky Diaz Santillan’s social security number did not match her name.

The latest round of accusations comes a day after Santillan claimed she was “emotionally and financially abused” during the nine years she worked for Whitman.

Allred said Wednesday that Whitman caused Santillan “to feel exploited, disrespected, humiliated and emotionally and financially abused.”

“The relationship was terminated last year by Ms. Whitman for what appeared to be political reasons involving Ms. Whitman’s decision to run for governor,” Allred said.

Tom Hiltachk, Whitman’s attorney, denied the allegation.

“This person was initially hired by Meg Whitman in November 2000,” Hiltachk said in remarks reported on the Los Angeles Times Web site. “She filled out standard (Internal Revenue Service) forms and Department of Justice forms and presented her Social Security card and California driver’s license. She filled out immigration forms that stated under penalty of perjury that she was a lawful resident.”

Hiltachk said Santillan was fired when she admitted that she was not a legal resident in 2009.

Whitman’s husband, Dr. Griff Harsh released the following statement:

“While I honestly do not recall receiving this letter as it was sent to me seven years ago, I can say it is possible that I would’ve scratched a follow up note on a letter like this, which is a request for information to make certain Nikki received her Social Security benefits and W-2 tax refund for withheld wages.

Since we believed her to be legal, I would have had no reason to suspect that she would not have filled it in and done what was needed to secure her benefits.

New Charges Could Threaten Campaign: KNX 1070’s John Brooks Reports

It is important to note what this letter actually says: ‘this letter makes no statement about your employee’s immigration status.’

The essential fact remains the same, neither Meg nor I believed there was a problem with Nicky’s legal status and I certainly don’t recall ever discussing it with my wife, nor did I ever show her any letter about it.

The facts of this matter are very clear: Ms. Diaz broke the law and lied to us and to the employment agency. When she confessed her deception to us last year, we ended her employment immediately.

Meg and I played by the rules and followed the law. Ms. Diaz did not. If as she claims she received this letter and note of inquiry from me, she never answered my request to look into this. Instead, she choose to continue her deception. This entire matter is a sad one and its timing is clearly the result of a calculated and cynical political smear by Meg’s opponents.”

(©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. john dieidle says:

a long time ago prop 187 was passed, and of course a liberal activist judge threw it out, even if the majority voted for it, now what you have is illegals costing the state billions of dollars in schooling, medical care, food,,,,,,ect, ect, ect ect ect,,,,,,,and doing so, now these people think they have rights,,,,,,,and guess what? they do, thanks to more liberal bleeding heart socialist,,,,,,,idiots,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no need to name names….

1. John says:

Is this Nicky Diaz under arrest for entering the country illegally? Using a false SS#? Just wondering why she is getting a free pass on these crimes.

2. grapevinerivco says:

Thre real story is how Meg OVERPAID her housekeeper for 9 years — $23 an hour?! Over $300 a week for less than 2 days work (15 hours)? Wow. Imagine how much Meg would pay state workers?

3. Paula says:

I certainly agree. What a lousy job KNX did of interviewing Allred. Why didn’t they ask where Allred got this 2003 lettler. Did Dr. Harsh leave a message for Meg? Did the the maid find the letter before Meg did? DWhy, if so, did the maid keep the letter for 7 years?
      Paula

4. grapevinerivco says:

Vote for MEG — housekeepers will get a big pay increase — if they’re legal.

2. Willlard says:

Politically motivated play by one of the worst publicity seeking lawyers in the country. Gloria Allred has destroyed more lives than Kirvorkian. It is amazing that this wacko lawyer has not been disbarred for her publicity antics.

1. RC says:

what has she done? Whitman is the one who employed illegal immigrants.

1. judy says:

Yeah, Willard……it’s Whitman at fault here….not Gloria.

2. grapevinerivco says:

Whitman hired through an employment agency — who should be sued. Why hasn’t KNX 1070 told us who the agency is? What happened to objective reporting?

3. LucyGoosey says:

I will be voting for Meg in November just because Allred butted in. She is a viper.

1. Rhonda says:

LucyGoosey are you serious? Just becasue Gloria is representing this illegal alien? Pretty lame reason!!

1. Svenvespucci says:

The amen is for the Gloria being a viper not to mention an ambulance chasing, media seeking person. As an officer of the court she should be seeking to uphold the law and not praising an illegal who escaped detection for 10 years…What is wrong with America and California…..For one it is Gloria

2. Karen says:

I agree with both of you. I always thought that lawyers were not supposed to perpetrate fraud. What is Allred doing? She’s ignoring the fact that this maid is an ILLEGAL ALIEN who has lied continuously. So why in the world does she have any credibility?

2. grapevinerivco says:

Amen me too — talk about witch hunting — this media frenzy sideswiping facts — ex: put the focus of the investigation on the agency who “cleared” the housekeeper — has convinced me to vote for Meg too.

4. Just saying says:

Why is the news skipping the glaring fact this woman had a FAKE drivers license and gave the emplyment agency a FAKE Social Security number? So is she going to be charged??? Forget about the LEGAL person that has had their identiy stolen by this theif.

1. Anita says:

Shouldn’t she be deported?

5. kim says:

Meg and Jerry are the worst to be elected I am banning from voting I don’t want any of them in are schools and children will be hit even harder. In the 80′ we were # 8 2007 # 14 3 years later 49 Jerry and Meg will put us last dont blame the teacher they do the best they can what the state gives them I an=m tired of the news blaming teachers it starts with the state cut all polictics and admin. salery and put that towards our school are kids are the next generation and alot cant read or write same on you govener Meg is a hipacrate she new she hired an illegal I am a so sick of us getting the hits ban voting for both they suck.

1. Alfreda Odom says:

Good God, try using a dictionary. Your spelling is bad and makes it hard on the readers. Voting is your Constitutional right; however, if you wish to forgo it, than do so but do not publicize this, we don’t care. There are 2 candidates running for Governor, one will prevail, it is a matter of this one or the other one VOTE.

1. MC says:

You should borrow the dictionary. It should be then not than.

2. Connie says:

My goodness Kim, based on your grammer I don’t think you are even qualified to vote in America. You should spend your time in shcool learning proper English instead of making a fool of yourself.

1. vudu says:

Who cares about her damn grammer. Shes probobly typing on a phone like I am. Sometimes things dont show up on screen the way they are intended to.

3. Milkpatrol says:

kim what level of education do you have ?

6. notlovinLA says:

I’m with Just Saying. Nevermind that this ILLEGAL broke the LAW! How typical that an illegal will sue for money in a country where she doesn’t even belong! I hope she gets $1 for pain and suffering and a swift kick in the rear on her way out of the country! This ILLEGAL is exactly why we AMERICANS are FED UP with illegal immigration! I don’t know about you, but I’m SICK and TIRED of being bullied by them!

1. MC says:

I wonder what the Native Americans think……

1. Freda says:

MC you moron. So I used the wrong word, I didn’t misspell it. When did the dictionary start telling you which word to use over another word?

2. Rudemander says:

They are saying I wonder why anyone does not admit that the US Government had committed genocide on us.

2. Karen says:

I want her to get NOTHING and to LEAVE NOW. Pain and suffering? PUH-LEEZ.

7. notlovinLA says:

Oh, just one more thing to say to Ms. Santillan…. OH BOO FREAKIN’ HOO, YOU LOSER!!!!

1. leavingla says:

I second that

8. FFL says:

Kim-Then blame your liberal owned and operated liberal biased media. Boxer and her henchmen are best at delivering October surprises against opponents, but Jerry Brown is good too. AS FOR Gloria Alread? She is a liberal shill always was and always will be- I am STILL voting for Meg -no matter what!

9. rjsmitty says:

It is time for these illegal’s to take reasonability for the criminal actions like every one else does . When they try a make a human right issue out of illegal immigration does nothing but insult the true victims of human rights abuse they should be ashamed of themselves , but then again they don’t care about anyone else but them selves and how to game the system . This is truly the ultimate insult to the laws and to the people who have immigrated legally , once again these people should be ashamed of themselves. We have been more than helpful and even granting citizenship to millions of illegal aliens and that is exactly what these illegal’s are trying to do . The amnesty door is shut you must come here like every other upstanding honorable immigrant does ….. This should not even be a issue follow the rules and obey the laws .

10. Mero says:

ILLEGAL or NOT….just go’s to show how ignorant and racist you people really are. we the people are all humans.

1. rjsmitty says:

We are all humans wow how long did it take for you to figure that out.So when people say that we immigrants need to do the right thing and follow the laws and rules like everyone else does that makes people racist? You evidently don’t know the meaning a racism or racist by your comment so I suggest you go and find out the meanings of the words you use because it is extremely insulting .

1. AmericanForULeaving says:

Ah go back to that subsidised American Tax Payer supplied Public School and learn proper United States English so that you can hide your illegal roots better…

2. leavingla says:

then you pay for her and her whole family that is here illegally.

3. lukkkee says:

You must be mexican. We are all human but that DOESN’T MEAN I HAVE UR A$$.

4. vrenn says:

Humans? Some humans are also murderers, rapist, abducters, psychopaths, thieves, etc. Would you like them to hang out in front of your house? Waiting to take your life? Destroy your property? Take your money? Hurt your family?
      The laws are there so that all of those listed above, would be kept off the streets so we don’t have to feel scared 24/7. If we don’t abide to or enforce illegal immigration laws, then how is it any different for criminals to get away with what they’ve done?

5. Alfreda Odom says:

Grant it! Meg Whitman fired this young lady when she decided to run for Governor because she knew the young lady was illegal. I don’t blame the young lady I would draw attention to her as well. Meg Whitman is a business woman, come on, she knew she had working in her home. Yes, her papers were not in order she was trying to get a job and Whitman was trying to get cheap labor and they both won. Now Meg you must pay the cost. Voters look at her closely, she is NOT the one.

1. Andrew Stames says:

Um, for $23 an hour she was hardly cheap labor.

2. Rudemander says:

Actually $23 an hour is what a Desktop IT tech gets in the private sector working 40 hours a week as compared to this lady who worked only 15 hours a week. Yeah the lady is illegal and she broke the law, however Meg should have known better that most of these cleaning agencies employ illegal immigrants. These are the people who we need to go after, and I do not like the fact that this bomb shell went with just only 5 weeks before election; because in my opinion this can harm either candidate you may support. This will depend where public opinion will sway.

3. Karen says:

Alfreda

Meg fired her when the MAID TOLD Whitman that the maid is illegal. The maid did not tell her until after Whitman said she was running for governor.

Why did the maid tell her? The maid wanted Whitman to help her become legal and because Whitman said no, the maid found Allred, the bottom feeding attorney.

6. Rudemander says:

Mero I agree this article exposes the racist attidues of some people.

1. Karen says:

How can it be racist when we complain about an ILLEGAL ALIEN?

What is racist about that?

2. Rudemander says:

Ok Karen here are a few comments I found to be racist:

lukkkee

You must be mexican. We are all human but that DOESN’T MEAN I HAVE UR A$$.
        September 30, 2010 am30 11:20 am | Reply | Report comment
        smith

if she look mexican isnt there a posablity she is a immigrant likely its a 51 % ya how didnt she know
        September 30, 2010 pm30 4:51 pm | Reply | Report comment
        ron paul

i would like to know why THIS ILLEGAL MEXICAN hasnt been arrested , fraud used social security number etc etc etc , plus is illegal alien . quess only legal citizens of usa get arrested for breaking its laws .ehhhhh …
        September 30, 2010 pm30 8:18 pm | Reply | Report comment

Sorry Karen I see what I see and do not like to make stuff up.

11. notlovinLA says:

Me wanting my country back in all of its former glory has NOTHING to do with being racist! YOU are the racist ones. Why must you play that card every chance you get? You would never see me, a LEGAL citizen, suing a company after I was fired because I LIED about who I am. It’s typical behavior of these free-loaders, is all. And so is yours, Mero, when you know I’m right.

1. Fred says:

This lady is suing because she was not paid for work done. Meg Whitman knew she was illegal, how can she not know? Try it again Meg, this won’t cut it.

1. Karen says:

Fred – she did not know until the maid told her. Stop lying.

12. Bluesman says:

I hope people can see through this smoke screen. Meg Whitman is great, however Gloria Allred is nothing more than a ambulance chasing, sleazy attorney. She gives attorney’s a bad name. We need more people like Meg in office who have actually ran a large business before. Not movie stars and the such.

1. Fred says:

You have a Governor in office who is a business man and what has he done for you. Under his Administration jobs has been lost, budgets has not been submitted, cuts in funding for schools and universities, 4-day work weeks for some state jobs. Do you really want another rich/wealthy Republican in office?

1. Karen says:

Fred – Are you calling Arnie a businessman? Are you kidding me? He is an ACTOR.

In fact, while governor, he appears in a movie. It’s called THE EXPENDABLES.

What business does our governor have other than being an ACTOR.

13. rjsmitty says:

So let me get this , she broke the law coming here illegally then she gets a drivers lic. (which I thought was a privilege to have) then she lied on her application for employment .. And I am supposed to believe anything this lying criminal says? How stupid do you think Californians are ?

1. Richard Iverson says:

Well they elected Arnold!

14. Mero says:

Its extremely humor when people use the term “ illegal aliens” wow… notlovinLA and others your username tells it all. Love it or leave it alone,

1. rjsmitty says:

That is another intelligent comment , please think of what you want to say then form a sentence or a comment in your head that doesn’t make you sound like fool then post .. Get it , Got It, Good!

2. GoodbyeMero says:

So are you here “legally”? If not, I’ll get someone to verify your “driver’s license” and your “social security card”. If they are found to be fake, you will go to prison (at out expense, of course).

3. Karen says:

Excuse me but the correct term is ILLEGAL ALIEN.

My mother is a PERMANENT ALIEN which means she has a permanent green card.

1. Mero says:

Karen- The term ALLEN shouldnt be use unless there seen getting off a UFO..

15. Mero says:

I’m not here to insult or belittle anyone, I know the system is corrupt find a solution, the problem is the people in power, not Obama or our government it’s the bank industries that control the war and the white house.

16. bobby t says:

why hasn’t ICE stepped in and arrested this lying illegal. deport her now!

1. Freda says:

I really don’t think she is lying. Yes, she is illegal; however, Meg Whitman was looking for cheap labor, she was with Meg Whitman for 8 to 9 years, go figure. This illegal immigrant has put herself on front street and yes, she should be expedited back to her country, she has broken the law and so has Meg Whitman.

Freda

The maid was paid $25/hour for 40 hours per week. That is $52,000 a year.

That’s cheap labor? I know some college grads who would love to make that kind of money.

17. Christian from Whittier says:

there needs to be a new path torwards citizenship….that will fix all…cause everyone is ellegal immigrant unless your an indian which i doubt…..so unless your indian everyone else is equal….everyone else has the same rights and honors….and everyone should have equal opportuinity to legalization or citizenship….our country is in debt we arent making money..just spending an borrowing….we dont revenue any money like we should be so much land an resources and people and ideas but yet we still in debt…we need to produce money making strategys….for one i do agree with the legalization on marijuana …it will revenue plenty of money in a matter of years marijuana alone could clean and clear our debt if legalized or controlled…and after that is done and clear the california debt if not the us debt as well….we can start producing $ and revenuing $…..think about it…be smart….citizenship should also be taxed….if everyone chipped inn even these so called ellegals california and the us would be better off

1. vudu says:

That path youre referring to is called the military. In a perfect world citezenship would be obtained only by 1 of 2 ways. Join the military for a predetermined amount of time and risk your life for the freedom you seek OR be born here under parents who are legal citizens. The “we are all immigrants” argument doesnt stand up, our forefathers fought for the right to live here, granted thy could have not killed all the natives….. but too late for that now. That type oflogic opens the door for anyone to just move here, declare themselves entitled to our rights and begin filing frivilous lawsuits immediatly. I wish theyd restart the military draft, this time leave it open to illegals that want to work and earn their citizenship. They can volunteer in addition to all the wussy generation teens we have running around that need to be forced into gaining some discpline.

1. Karen says:

To clarify vudu – “or parents who are legal residents”. My parents are not American but they have permanent green cards aka permanent alien cards. I was born in the U.S. and I am an American.

2. Karen says:

I am so against granting amnesty of any kind – even the military draft – and especially the military because so many illegals refuse to learn English. How can they communicate in the military by not speaking English?

2. John says:

Hey Christian from Whittier, did you learn that everyone is an ellegal immigrant in your public school system? You are wrong. We have laws and people are illegal. The same old story that only Indians are legal is stupid and boring. If you are from Mexico and you come here without following our law then you broke the law.

3. rjsmitty says:

I don’t even know were to start , so I will just do the obvious . We are not all illegal , if you are born into a country with parents that are citizens of that country you are a citizen of that country ( are you following me here or is it difficult to grasp , because it gets a little harder to understand here on out) If you are born in another country from parents that are citizens from said country then you enter into a different country with out following the correct procedure or rules then you are considered an illegal alien and probably have broke the law in doing so . If you bring your child with you it is obvious that you have put your child endanger and have forced your child to comment a crime also ( by doing that you should be brought up on child endangerment charges) .

4. Karen says:

Christian

I totally disagree. I am a child of LEGAL immigrants and consider it a slap in the face when people want to grant amnesty to lawbreakers.

Sooooo many people have tried to legally enter this country and are refused because of quotas or lack of sponsorship.

And here you want to reward people who BROKE THE LAW.

18. ES says:

Gloria will kick little ‘ol Nicky to the curb right after the elections.

19. truly_american says:

What’s up with all that CRYING and BOO HOOing by the ex-maid???? Did All Red threaten her? How is anyone that upset after nearly a year and a half?!?!?!?!!! I would LOVE to know the back story on how All Red found her and convinced her to go national re her illegal status.
    i’ll be voting for Whitman because SHE KNOWS HOW TO CREAT JOBS. Is she perfect? No, I wish she were a little more anit-illegals but hay, she’ll do til the reincarnate Ronald Reagan.

truly

Meg wants to get rid of sanctuary cities so how is that helping illegal aliens?

20. TCPLA says:

Funny how quickly conservatives can circle the wagons whenever their leaders fall victim to their own hypocrisy.

21. FREDDIE MER says:

GLORIA ALLRED”LOSER GET A LIFE”SHE ‘S THE POSTER CHILD FOR OPERTUNIST LAWYERS”SHE’S THE JERRY SPRINGER OF LAW!

1. Karen says:

That is hysterical – the Jerry Springer of Law. Love it!

22. James says:

Don’t like whitman,don’t like Allred,don’t like Illegal’s.The whole thing stink’s.If they all just dissapeared they would not be missed.

23. Jon says:

Meg Whitman like most rich people has walked all over everyone else to get where she is, that means lying, stealing, cheating & not playing by the rules. She’s also a beotch which you can tell.

24. Sage Advise says:

“and said the maid was responsible for alerting her to letters in the mail.”

Sure NutMeg – dig that hole deeper why don’t you. As Republican that is well aware of NutMeg’s two-faced strategies on illegal aliens, as well as her hypocritical anti-2nd Amendment views, no way in hell will I vote for that RINO. Her anti-2nd Amendment views are well known, yet she tried to fool plenty of gun owners by having her “people” set up booths at various CA guns shows such as the Costa Mesa Gun Show; sorry Ms. NutMeg, we KNOW you had direct input in banning/prohibiting austions of 100%-legal-to-own and legal-to-sell in ALL 50 states firearm parts on Ebay, and you can’t blame it on Steve Westley. NutMeg is a sham, a ruse, playing both ends of the field and telling whatever audience is before just what they want to hear. She flip-flops more than a dying fish or an illegal immigrant washed ashore on San Diego beaches. Her power-hungry fascism is scary, and honetly, anyone that would spend over $100 Million on running for CA Governor is obviously psychotic, has delusions of grandeur, and clearly fiscally irresponsible.

25. rjjrdq says:

Allred is playing the la raza card. Race politics at its worst. And what is this illegal alien still doing in the country. Allred is aiding and abetting. Jail for her and ms. crocodile tears.

26. joseh tinnos says:

allred is aliar who pays her housekeeper at tha EDGEWATER TOWER in the Palisades in CASH!!!!

27. greg says:

to me racist is the “Latin Grammys” the “Black Music Awards” lets try having a “White Emmys” and watch the uproar, people want equality unless it doesn’t work in their favor.

Greg

I hear you. When CNN’s Soledad O’Brien was airing stories about “Black in America,” I demanded equal time for whites. Did they ever air that story? No.

28. Grindmaster says:

This only goes to show Meg Whitmans true colors. A rich republican with an agenda to maintain wealth at the expense of others. Of course she was DUPED, she can’t match wits with a poor immigrant woman. Why should we expect her to know what is going on in her own hausehold, she pays someone to do that. If she can’t govern her own house, how is she going to govern The state of California. Oh , I guess she’ll pay someone to do that for her too, then we will have someone to blame,long as it’s not Meg Whitman. I’ll vote for Brown!!!

29. LYENOKIO says:

So you feel disrespected and degraded, etc,etc…So are things that much better in Mexico that you would have to come here illegally and disrespect the citizens of the US? You must be joking….There are millions of immigrants that have come here and worked there fingers to the bone trying to make it here in the US legally.
    Not politically motivated?…When in your life time would this poor soul ever be able to afford Gloria to represent her. IMMIGRATION DO YOUR JOB!!!!

30. Angry American says:

This bean and the rest of her family should be investigated and kicked out of our country if they can’t prove they’re legal U.S. citizens, the same way Mexico kicks illegal’s out of their country. For all of you bleeding hearts out there that believe illegal’s should be allowed to stay in this country… talk is cheap! If you’re so serious about this then you should sponsor illegal’s and pay for their food, shelter, health insurance and everything else these leeches suck U.S. citizens for. My bet is this would never happen because you’re nothing but hypocrites!

31. DudB says:

Meg, you’re not so innocent. Just admit you knew it and go on with your life and campaign. Both of which I be you have wrecked.

32. J C Fusse says:

Meg Whitman is a liar and a hypocrite? This proves she is more than qualified to be a politician and run for the Governor’s office. Either that or be a camera chasing, feminista lawyer like Gloria Allred.

One a separate note: if Ms. Santillan is here in the U.S. illegally shouldn’t she be remanded to the custody of some federal immigration enforcement department and deported? Nothing against Ms. Santillan but I thought there was a clear cut federal law on this.

1. Karen says:

You know that our elected officials could care less about illegals. Remember – they boycotted Arizona for doing something about it.

33. ATH says:

Why is she defending an ILLEGAL. I resent Allred statemnet that Niki is the new Rosa Parks.

1. vudu says:

She actually said that?? HAHAHA

1. ATH says:

Yes she did. I watched the live broadcast and had to rewind my DVR to see if that’s what she really said.

2. Kristen Sorensen says:

someone needs to call Jesse Jackson so he can tell Alred to say SORRY for her many moments of stupidity

34. Keep it Simple says:

Keep it simple – The maid broke the law by entering and working illegally. Someone call INS and follow procedures, deportation, etc.
    If Meg knew, then she should be held accountable and take the consequences, in this case, possibly even loosing the race. After investing all that money, I’m sure she’ll regret it.
    If Meg didn’t know, then she should counter sue the maid and sue Allred for slander and defamation of character. Allred cant also think that her actions dont have consequences.
    See Simple – take all the politics out, remove the racial tensions, follow the law… its simple… the law isnt complicated, people make it complicated… and yes Im American by birth of Hispanic heritage, and whether I agree with laws or not, I still have to follow them.
    (I apologize in advance for any grammar or spelling mistakes)

1. Karen says:

Meg did not know so you can cut that part out.

35. Happy_I_moved_2_TX says:

soooo, Whitman was looking for cheap labor??? really? Did you see the illegal’s cheap labor normal rate of pay? $18 to $25 per hour. I don’t know about you guys, but that is NOT cheap labor for someone to clean your house. That’s more than a lot of college graduates are making in this economy.

36. Enda says:

Please Gloria STOP she did not receive cheap labor and you know better in referring to your client as the new or next Mrs Rosa Parks.Shame on you.
    She is illegal, she know she is illegal sounds like she intercepted the mail and decided to tell Meg the truth thinking Meg would pull strings for her.They need to look more deeply just might find other mail and things missing.Gloria do right by this women advise her to go back to her country. US CITIZEN need and are willing to work for this so call cheap labor

37. Alberto says:

b/c of Allred and this illegal I will vote Whitman

38. BobInIrvine says:

So Meg says that she paid the maid for 15 hours, and that “sometimes she worked less.” She didn’t mention that a lot of the time, the maid worked MORE than 15 hours. Working the help like slaves (paying 8 hours for 12-16 hours of work) is common in the IT industry, so it’s no surprise Maggie’s a bit tone deaf to the real issue.

39. ElMojadodeColima says:

OK, Let’s be clear: 95% of the comments here are from FRUSTRATED people who hate others, no matter what RACE the other people is.. All the comments from “bobyt”, “notlovinLA”, “levaingLA”, “AmericanForULeaving”, “Vudu” and “Alberto” sayS everything:
    Frustrated people who never land a GOOD and DECENT job thanks to their ATTITUDE, FRUSTRATION and LACK of education, Yes, that is the TRUE.
    Get a LIFE, get educated….Seated in the couch smoking and waiting for your Welfare check is not going to help you at all. Yes, I am proud to be Mexican…I was an Illegal immigrant for a while, I am a U.S. Citizen now working in a Federal Government Agency thanks to the education received at LA Pierce College and at CSUN.

1. vudu says:

Actually i have a good job and dont see any comments i would call hateful, so im gonna need you to quote one of them to make your point against me. K thx

1. Rudemander says:

Here’s one:

lukkkee

You must be mexican. We are all human but that DOESN’T MEAN I HAVE UR A$$.

September 30, 2010 am30 11:20 am | Reply | Report comment

2. Rudemander says:

Vudu here are two more hatefue comments:

smith

September 30, 2010 pm30 4:51 pm | Reply | Report comment

ron paul

September 30, 2010 pm30 8:18 pm | Reply | Report comment

I am pretty sure there will be more very soon!

3. vudu says:

Rude, i know other people made he hateful comments but since my name was on the list….. id like to know what i said specifically.

40. Jack says:

Actually, it’s not an illegal aliens responsibility to tell the employer they are illegal. It is the employers responsibility to check. Is Meg Whitman familiar with the statement “ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law.” It’s been the way thing work in America since, forever! What kind of business executive puts a maid in charge of what mail they see? Oh yeah, the CEO for ebay, a company that basically runs itself. Does anyone remember some other allegation about harassing some employee and having to settle a suit. She seems to have everything it takes to be Governor, she can lie.

1. Karen says:

Jack – the liability in this case is the employment agency who checked her credentials. I don’t know about you but every employer for whom I’ve worked used the HR department or the employment to check my credentials.

You actually expect the CEO of a $66 billion dollar corporation to check work papers?

You have got to be kidding.

1. Rudemander says:

Well Karen I beg to defer with you. When it comes to your personal residence you are HR, and as an individual who is from the top 1% of earned income you should be responsible to check the legal status of your employees who work on your residence, because you are more scrutinized by the government.

41. notw says:

people like nikki that will try to take advantage to sue and use tax payer dollars is what’s killing us. I agree where is the INS the fake tears should not give her a free pass to remain in this country. Thousands of people file for legal immigration each day. Has nikki done that since being terminated I don’t think so.

42. Entropy says:

After reading all of this, it is no wonder why California is broke.

43. Lamar says:

I truely believe that Mrs. Whitman new that her housekeeper was an illegal imigrant. Its not a coencidence that the housekeeper was fired months before Whitman runs for office. She should listen to her own words from the debate and pay the fine for hiring illigal imigrants. If she was honest she would have been open and came forward in her early campaign and acknowledged that she had NOT known that she hired the illegal house keeper then it would have been much easier to except her story.

1. Karen says:

Well Lamar – you would be wrong in believing that Whitman knew.

2. grapevinerivco says:

FACT CHECK: the housekeeper was fired 6 months AFTER Whitman announced she was running for office. Do you think she would file a illegal housekeeper in her tax returns and pay her social security for 9 years if she knew she was illegat?

44. Trixie says:

this illegal lady broke the law. if meg knew it, she broke the law too. if she didn’t, then she didn’t. gloria allred is a bain on society. how is this poor, illegal lady supposed to pay her for her services anyway? send the illegal lady back where she came from, send gloria allred back to the hole she crawled out of, and let’s have a “fair” election to see who ends up in the Governer’s seat. stupidity sells. man, am i a dumbarse for being an honest tax paying citizen. where did i go wrong. geesh! even my vote on 187 was worthless. how DO they get off repealing the things that the people vote for anyway? another can of worms, i suppose.

45. DIANA says:

This women needs to go back to her country! Shame you Gloria. This women committed fraud, she used her sister SSN to work. The money needs to be returned and she as well to her country. I am tried of all this bull —- and all these greedy money hungry people, committing crime (Bell) What it comes down to is $ is the motivator regardless of the need and what it is used for, and Gloria, is another benefiting Attorney from this situation! GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM!

46. Jeff says:

What about years 2004-2009 Social Security stopped writing letters and was just waiting for a response for six years. Something does not seem right.

1. Karen says:

You have to be kidding right? You think that the federal government is that efficient? Oh well.

47. Joe says:

I’m voting for JB but I have to say the picture lead into this story with laughing Meg in the back and teared up maid in the front is too much.

1. grapevinerivco says:

Good point. I’m definitely voting for MEG now. The wag the dog media hype convinced me. Thanks for your honesty. Not too late to vote for MEG.

48. Paul says:

What is the point of this whole circus, Gloria??? You are suing Meg? FOR WHAT? For not turning the illegal in because she knew about it? For low wages? $23 per hour??? So many can only wish for this type of pay. WHAT IS the point?? Gloria Aldred you are a DISGRACE to the law profession!!

1. Karen says:

It’s pretty obvious that Ms. Allred is trying to influence our vote by claiming that Meg is this nasty person.

The maid was paid $25/hour for 40 hours per week. That is $52,000/year.

Some people would be very pleased with that money.

And excuse me Ms. Maid, when are you leaving the country since you’re an illegal alien?

49. Karen says:

Allred needs to shut up. After all this hoopla when she claimed WHITMAN saw the letter, the best CBS can say is that Allred said Whitman’s HUSBAND saw the letter.

And that tidbit is only in the headline, nowhere else.

Allred needs to turn in her bar card. She is losing her mind.

Vote for Meg!

1. vudu says:

Welcome to todays topic Karen!! I’m actually going to agree wih you on this one. Allred needs to just stop practicing law and maybe go die somewhere. Im not all pro Whitman or anything, but at this point, barring any new developments, shes probobly the better choice.

1. Karen says:

CBS updated the story since I posted at 4:35. Now there is more information about what the husband knew.

His story is plausible and believable.

Allred is trying to create hysteria.

2. Karen says:

Vudu

I do not post so that people will agree with me or not. I state my opinion.

I consider this issue of great importance because I want Meg Whitman to be our governor and Allred/Brown are smearing her because they play dirty tricks.

3. vudu says:

No argument on the smear tactics part.

50. Russell says:

Just how stupid does Meg Whitman think California voters are? Very stupid, apparently. And based on many of the comments here, she might be right.

Russell

Where are getting this information? I am a California voter and I believe Meg.

If you do not, that is your right but it is definitely based on any credible evidence.

I meant to say
        it is definitely NOT based on any credible evidence.

51. smith says:

1. Karen says:

smith – no that is RACIST. You can not judge a book by its cover.

1. Mero says:

Black Slavery is over cant abuse Africans no more lets target all Mexican there ILLEGAL ALLENS flying on UFO’S that’s hilarious…LMFAO

2. rjsmitty says:

Your comment sounds odd, who cares immigrant or native as long as she follows the laws and the rules of employment and she is here legally.

52. fernihana says:

This is a federal crime to steel an identify. The government and federal authorities now know about this crime. Why isnt this women and Allreds being arrested for extorsion. Specially Allreds should be charged for extorsion. The illegal immigrant should be deported but not before paying the price for lying to the federal government. IT IS ILEGAL TO STEEL AN IDENTITY. Please don’t say you need proof. It all over the news. Allreds can also be a witness since she is the one who brought it out in the open.

53. Jackie says:

Ms. Santillan is a liar, and she admitted to it on national television. Santillan broke the law, period. Santillan feels “exploited, disrespected, humiliated and emotionally and financially abused.” This from a woman that made $23 dollars an hour? Unfortunately, most people are struggling on a minimum wage salary. and she feels exploited? What an absolute joke. Gloria Allred likened her to a ‘Latina Rosa Parks.’ That is an insult to the memory of Rosa Parks. I am so sick of Gloria Allred and her consistent need to be in the limelight. She should stay under the rock from which she came.

54. notlovinLA says:

Mero, I hate LA because of people like YOU and people like Ms. Santillan! I hate LA because it’s looking more and more like a stinkin’ rat hole like those found in Juarez! I’m stuck here because, you see, I actually WORK for a living… an HONEST living. I’m not like YOU and Ms. Santillan and all you other nasty illegals in this country! I don’t expect others to pick up MY mess or pay for MY needs. I do that myself. Idiot!

1. Karen says:

notlovinLA – I get very depressed about that too and there is no other city I can work without starting from scratch since I work in the entertainment business and this is the capital of that.

I often feel like I’m living in the third world.

We can thank ALL of our city and county officials for that. Notice how THEY wanted to boycott Arizona, but none of us did.

Next election, we HAVE to vote them all out and we can start with Whitman who is against sanctuary cities.

2. Mero says:

It’s FUNNY/SAD how and when you call someone “ILLEGAl ALLENS” wait let me land my UFO…LOL

1. rjsmitty says:

That is the correct term for people that enter illegaly. you really need to go back to school. Just like ” mero” is latin for TURD !

55. Crazyman Dancer says:

Chusma.

Crocodile tears.

56. everyoneisgoing2hell says:

All this hate!!! For what? Regardless of who is in office it’s going to be Meg or Jerry making the money NOT you or me.
    They have us doing all the dirty work to get themselves elected. I know this world is made up of people who just want to take advantage of another regardless the cost. I am not going to sit here and tell you who belongs in this country, because I wouldn’t have the slightest clue…lie after lie has been written in the history books. What I can tell you is that I for one would not mistreat another individual just because they were born somewhere else.
    Let me give you an example…would you mis-treat your dog/cat/fish just because they are a different species??? What is the matter with you people?

1. Karen says:

Excuse me but I am concerned about the economic viability of this state. We WILL NO LONGER be the 8th largest economy in the world if we electe a NON-BUSINESS friendly governor like Brown.

I don’t care what kind of money the governor makes and I don’t hate anyone.

All I care about is that our state makes money and is business friendly. We have an unemployment rate that is HIGHER than the national average.

57. atf says:

How dies Gloria Allred know that the note at the bottom ot the Social Security Administration’s letter was done in either Whitman’s or her husbands handwriting???? She gave no proof of any analysis, or who did it or how Allred was able to find any authentic/original handwriting samples for comparison.

58. jujubee1 says:

I’m definitely not a Meg Whitman supporter, but let’s face it, Gloria Allred is just not credible.

59. customrider says:

Let me get this straight. A person comes on TV admits to a Federal Crime and she gets a defended by a grand standing lawyer? This circus event that is clearly politically motivated.
    What’s with the fake tears?
    Arrest her, put her in jail and stop rolling over every time someone commits a crime. Do not pay her, that’s why they keep coming

60. JGU says:

Meg Whitman must think we are all stupid!

Why does it make any difference whether this issue was brought to light by Jerry Brown’s Campaign? The question for Meg is …. what did you know and when did you know it?

Meg set herself up in the debate. The timing was perfect. She played her cards as tough on immigration and Gloria Allred kicked her butt exposing her as a liar and a hypocrite.

Meg says that her housekeeper was like a member of her family. Would you fire a member of you family because of her immigration status? This shows the level of love in Meg’s family.

Meg says that that she never received a letter from Social Security. Then she said … oh yea, we got a letter but it never said anything about her housekeepeer’s immigration status. Meg says she thought the letter was about her housekeeper’s social security benefits or about her taxes. Meg was the CEO of eBay, but isn’t smart enough to deduce that a Latina employee with a wrong SSN could mean illegal alien. Now who is being stupid!

Meg has flip flopped on immigration issues over the last two years. She was for comprehensive immigration solutions, now show believes that all employers have a duty to fire illegal immigrants.

Meg, quit crying about political smear campaigns. We need a Govenor with integrity. You obviously have none.

1. grapevinerivco says:

But we have not seen the full text of the letter. Also, she hired the lady from an employment agenc who cleared her. Why isn’t the media checking the story out? Of course she fired her, dropped her like a hot potato. Wouldn’t you feel betrayed after you announced your running for Governor, spending millions, and then your housekeeper comes to you and says sign these papers for me so I can see an attorney? I would have fired her too.

61. Bob says:

This is for who ever approves these comments. You should not allowed racist comments to be seen. I will be getting in contact with someone about this. I would not like my seen to be learning what you guys allow to post on this site

62. ron paul says:

63. Mari says:

Nobody pointed it out this!!! Even though the person has a legal driver’s license or social security number doesn’t mean that the person can work in this country legally. In order to work legally, the person must obtain Green card or work visa!!! I am very familiar with immigration laws cause’ I became U.S. citizen a few years ago.

& listen!!!! My friend was arrested by INS & went to jail because she was working part time @ restaurant. She was here legally, she got a student visa & was going to school but not work visa. Law is law!!!

64. Andy R. says:

“Nut” Meg is a hypocrit.

65. Billie says:

Gloria and Nikki should be investigated for EXTORTION and both asked to leave the country. Or both in the same cell.

66. LOIDANICK says:

SIMPLE ANSWER TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS. WHITE, LATINOS, BLACKS, AND
    ASIANS. IF YOU ARE THE CEO OF A COMPANY, YOU GUESSED IT RIGHT, YOU HAVE THE FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE OF EMPLOYMENT AND LABOR LAWS.

67. Stephanie says:

That was honestly the most pathetic interview I have ever heard. All he did was attack Meg Whitman, and I am a registered Democrat, but I couldn’t stand listening to this interviewer. Whether right or wrong, all he did was attack, not very impressive at all. thought an anchor was supposed to present a more unbiased interview. Very disappointed.

1. grapevinerivco says:

Agreed. Poor interview, sad to see KNX 1070 wag the dog.