Train Engineer’s Arm Amputated After Derailment

FONTANA (AP) — A surgical team amputated the arm of a conductor Friday to free him from the wreckage of a locomotive that struck a slow-moving freight train on tracks 50 miles east of Los Angeles.

The conductor and engineer were in the cab of the 69-car westbound Union Pacific train when it struck a 100-car Union Pacific steel hauler being pushed out of a rail yard onto the main line for an eastbound run, Union Pacific spokesman Aaron Hunt said.

The conductor was hospitalized in critical condition after the collision late Thursday. The engineer was injured slightly.

Several cars derailed and the locomotive wound up on top of a freight car, San Bernardino County fire spokesman Maurice Moore said.

Firefighters were unable to get the trapped conductor out of the wrecked locomotive, and a surgical team was called to amputate his arm, Moore said. He was expected to survive.

I-beams pierced the locomotive, trapping the engineer.

Hunt said computer data will be examined to determine the speed of the trains at the time of impact.

The wreck alongside eastbound lanes of Interstate 10 at Cherry Avenue created a traffic crush for more than four hours.

Emergency vehicles used the freeway to access the wreckage. It was initially feared hazardous materials might be leaking from a rail tanker, but it was later determined there were no dangerous materials in the wreckage.

Eastbound freeway lanes reopened by 4 a.m. Friday.

Freight and Amtrak trains that use the mainline track were routed around the accident site. Hunt said there was little damage to the track.

Metrolink commuter trains use other tracks.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. Buck says:

I will not pass judgement till I know who the idiot was.

2. Rob says:

Hey Buck, shut the hell up. This was a tragic accident, you ever hear the word “accident”. No, well I guess you’re the only perfect person in the entire world. Have some respect and or sympathy.

1. Buck says:

Sorry but in all accidents most of the time some idiot caused the situation to happen. Maybe a bum on the tracks who knows. I’ve seen too many stories were the person being injured cause there own problem be it they on drugs o sleeping whatever. All I said is I’m waiting to see who the idiot was

3. Dogg says:

Buck, I know both me who were involved. They are not idiots like you, they are hard working men providing for their families. As a fellow conductor for Union Pacific, things like his happen. Don’t talk about a these men when you have no idea about what we do, it’s about having respect for the men involved…

1. WH says:

An accident is when something breaks such as a broken rail or wheel causing a derailment/collision. If anybody broke the rules it is NOT an accident in my book. The attitude that “stuff happens” is what causes tradgedies.

WH

4. vudu says:

Yeah Buck what the hell? Why are you coming to these comment boards and commenting on stuff? Haha. Anyhow, Im wih Buck, MOST of the time accidents are caused by one or more idiots. Although on occasion its just a set of circumstances that are not controlled by the parties involved.

5. M. says:

The NTSB will gather the facts and report on the cause(s).
    Pure speculation, but train crew fatigue caused by long/inconsistent work hours could be a factor. Don’t be so quick to call someone an idiot!

6. st says:

Buck you are an A*S. It does not matter who caused it. It only matters that they are ok. the man lost his arm and may now have a hard time taking care of his family. thats the stuff that matters not stupid comments from people like you. My dad is an engineer for the U.P. and they bust there butts and work crazy hrs. you should think before you speak…..Bick

1. Buck says:

Would you feel the same way if the man who lost is arm caused the accident cause of speeding or texting or whatever. I sure wouldn’t feel sorry for him. I need my body for work also and regularly put in 55 hour weeks to support my family. But I am careful and watchful if I’m tired I go home early. I don’t text and drive I don’t really speed in my car I am a very concerned citizen who has 0 tolerance for stupidity

7. sean says:

8. Buck says:

thank you I meant to say earlier today I like your style